Summer Shape Up Plan: Week 1

Before I make my online training live, I wanted to offer you a FREE workout plan to try.

Summer Shape-Up Plan Blonde Ponytail

The 2013 Summer Shape Up Plan. (Cue cheesy bikini shot. I know.)

For the next 4 weeks, I will release 7 day plans using workouts I have already created with videos showing you exactly how to do the moves.

THE PURPOSE
I have received many emails from readers requesting workout plans and asking when my training would be available. I have been side tracked of late (baby), but wanted to offer you something in the mean time. For those of you that asked how to get started, here you go!

The workouts will be a balance of strength training and interval work. YOU essentially control the intensity because most workouts are work capacity based, meaning they are timed. So, you can track how many reps you complete in a 20, 30 or 45 second interval.

Consider this a trial run of sorts. If you like the programming I provide, you may want to consider personalized online training or one of the training packages I create.

Though a warm-up is not built in, be sure to do some form of stretching and light cardio to prepare your body for work. Or, you can use these 5 dynamic stretches.

WEEK ONE

Day 1:
Lean Legs Workout. For added intensity & duration, do the tabata option.
Hard Core Workout. Upper body gets a legit burn here too.

GNC HARD CORE workout plank.jpg

Day 2:
Before Breakfast Home Workout. For added intensity increase to 5 rounds.
30 minutes
of an activity of your choice: Yoga, running, walking, cycling, etc.

Day 3:
Sculpt Your Arms. A sneaky full body workout.
5 Moves for a Solid Core.

Day 4:
Out of the Box Workout or another cardio activity of your choice.

Day 5:
Power Circuit. To increase intensity, go for 5 rounds.
30 minutes of an activity of your choice: Yoga, running, walking, cycling, etc.

Day 6:
Feisty 50 Home Workout (no equipment). Modify reps as needed.

Day 7:
Active Rest Day. Do something you enjoy like walking your dog or visiting the local zoo.

If you need to move the rest day earlier in the week, do it. These workouts are meant to be flexible and work with your schedule.

Your turn:
What workouts would you like to see more of?
Any exciting summer plans?!

____________________
*Disclaimer: Although I am a NSCA-CSCS, you should consult a physician before starting any exercise program or diet plan. If you choose to do any of the workouts featured on this website, you do so at your own risk.

Comments

1. Awesome, just awesome! I’ve been in a workout slump and these look fun! Can’t wait to see the training packages you have.

2. Your lean legs workout is a fave of mine ;)
    Kat recently posted..Motivational Monday – Featured Sneakers #29My Profile

3. I like the fact that some of these you can do while on vacation!! Thanks!!!

4. Wow! Could you be any cooler? Thank you so much for the preview!

5. This is wonderful! I love how these are all things you can do at home or on the go – no gym required. It really helps me not make excuses because I don’t have the time to get to the gym. Yay!
    Tamara recently posted..Jelly of my Jams Swap Reveal!My Profile

• Thanks Tamara! I try to make my workout friendly regardless of equipment! ;) I no I’ll need them handy once I have this little one too!

6. I’m excited to try this!
    Steph recently posted..What’s Next?My Profile

• When I read your post last night, I wanted to comment that i’d be doing this but your blog didn’t let me! :(

7. This is awesome! Lean legs is one of my all time faves of yours. Killer!
    Fizz @fizzsbizz.com recently posted..A craving for salad!! Who am I??My Profile

8. This is great! Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try these workouts. :)
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna SteaksMy Profile

9. Wow – so many great workouts all in one place!
    Thanks for sharing these!!! Can’t wait to try some.
    Kim recently posted..The BeachMy Profile

10. I’d love to see more stretching for runners, especially lower backs/hamstrings. Training is taking it’s toll on this old gal;) Summer plans include beach, beach, and more beach! When you live across from the ocean, you don’t miss a day!
    kate@kate marrin life + style recently posted..eat: meal prep monday menu-Eating PaleoMy Profile

11. Awesome! You’re workouts are always super hard and I love them.
    Ashley recently posted..Fueling Round OneMy Profile

12. Ahh Jess, This is so exciting! I do your workouts almost daily and this is more motivation. Awesome!

13. If you could do workouts for the gym that’d be awesome! :)
    Patty(reach-yourpeak.com) recently posted..Trying a Detox CleanseMy Profile

14. Wow — these look awesome and I can’t wait to try them out!! I just finished my second marathon of back-to-back marathons and have decided to mix things up for the next couple of months with more non-running workouts. (Although, even as I type this, I am realizing that Hood to Coast is just a couple of months away so I can’t really take a break from running!)

I always love your workouts as they are quick but intense and just the thing I need when I have 15 minutes to get something done. :)
    Kristen @ Happy Running Mama recently posted..A Fine BalanceMy Profile

• I’m excited for you and Hood to Coast. I trained for it last using a program similar to this where running and interval work helped me stay fit and run hard in August! ;)

15. I love the hard core workout! I do that pretty frequently :) Thanks for sharing this! That “cheesey bikini shot” is awesome – you look great!!!

• So glad the hard core one is a fav!! It was a silly shot from our trip to Hawaii–I had to do it (Oh, Baywatch…)

16. ashleigh says:

Um, if I looked like that in a bikini I would have poster sized prints EVERYWHERE! That being said, thank you for posting some great options. These will be great for my short lunch break at work!!

17. So excited to give this a try! I’ve been needing a new workout plan and will use this next week. Thank you for sharing!!

18. This is perfect! I can’t wait until you get your online training setup! I’ll be a faithful customer for sure. I’ve been doing one of your workouts daily for tha past couple months and I’ve gotten so much stronger! ( I can actually do a pull up for the first time ever! ) I thought for awhile that I wanted to be a personal trainer too…but then I just realized that I just enjoy your workouts! I send everyone to your site. Thank you for sharing as much as you do!
    Ashley recently posted..Work Outs of the WeekMy Profile

19. Caitlin says:

Jess!!! This is just what I needed on day one of summer (my kids got out yesterday)! I did your day one today + a 3 mile interval run and I also stocked up on gnc total lean 25. I also ended up buying the AMP extreme 60…what are your thoughts on these two as far as timing and proper protien for women? I got further confused when the lady told me no breakfast before any kind of cardio. I tend to do cardio interval training and weights and your workouts kinda all combined. I aim to look like your beach pic by August (amazing!!)!! Really excited for your individual training. Hope you are feeling well :)

• Thanks Caitlin! The AMP 60 is money: VERY high protein 60g, and low carb. The serving size is pretty big, but it’s all quality. I tend to go for the Total Lean 25 since I don’t necessarily need all that protein, but my hubby downs the AMP faster than I can keep it in our cupboards! And, you are too sweet–I hope to get back to a bikini body after body too! ;)

• Caitlin says:

Thanks for your reply, Jess! I should have mentioned that I only plan to do one scoop of the AMP 60, not the full three. That would be insane protien for a chick!!

20. This is great! I’ve done your lean legs workout quite a few times! Thanks! :)
    Zaneta recently posted..Plankin’ It Up OutsideMy Profile

21. If I looked like that in a bikini, I’d be posting pics of myself all over the Internet! ; )

Thanks for the sample training plan. I’m definitely going to mix these into my fitness routine. Right now my strength training is sporadic because I’m finally getting back into a regular running routine and seeing results. It’s tough because I’m planning to train for a fall marathon and have some very specific & aggressive goals in mind. I need to find a good balance so I’m incorporating strength workouts but not getting too sore for my quality runs.

Hope you’re feeling well. Sending happy labor thoughts your way!
    Nicole @ Work in Sweats Mama recently posted..Weaning & Lessons from BreastfeedingMy Profile

• ha ha! It’s all about the lighting and running towards the camera! ;) ha! I totally get how a marathon plan can be all consuming! No time for anything!!

22. bahh this is great!! I am mainly a runner, but always looking for great crosstraining workouts! Also, for the next month i will be working at a camp where finding time/routes to run will be hard, so having these workouts will be GREAT! I am always putting together ciruits like this… and my fave thing to do is to TABATA everything I can!! haha talk about getting your heart rate up!!

Thanks and have a great night!!
    Andrea R. @ Morning Runner Girl recently posted..Cheerleaders and Bonfire/S’more cravingsMy Profile

23. I just bookmarked this. I can’t wait to try these out!!
    Natalie recently posted..UA Challenge Update!My Profile

24. Thanks so much for posting these workouts! exciting summer plans: family reunion! We charter a bus and meet the side of the family from down south and hang out for a few days! Love it!

25. Thank you thank you! I love your blog and workouts! I have been doing many of them including the lean legs and feisty 50. Whoo! What a burn :) I dig it! You give me great ideas too for coming up with different variations of workouts on my own. I really have noticed a difference in my running strength and arms! Anywho, I tell folks all the time about your site. Thanks for this plan. You rock, and I bet your baby is gonna be one fierce athlete!

26. Sweet!! This will be great to combine with running. I’m going to plan to start on Monday next week since I already have my workouts this week mentally planned out in my head. :) Thanks!!!

27. Thanks- desperately in need of some motivation! thanks for posting. Best of luck with the delivery of the baby girl!

28. Thanks! I’ve been in quite a rut lately, and this is the perfect variety and motivation to get moving!!

29. Melissa says:

Just finished day 1(I had stitches that finally got removed so I’m a couple days behind) but my legs feel like jello!!! I loved it! I’m so glad I found this site, it’s awesome! Congrats on the baby!

30. wow, this is so great! Thank you so much for putting this together-For FREE for us!
    *this guarantees when done with the series, that we will look like you in that bikini pic, right?! : )

31. I did the Out of the Box workout when you first posted it and it is NO JOKE! I pushed the 800m intervals at 6:30 pace and wanted to cry/fall off the treadmill after round 3! That said, I stuck with it and left nice and sweaty and full of contentment. This looks like a great program!

32. Oh, how cool! Thank you!

33. I just did the Out of the Box workout and omg it was awesome and kick arse at the same time!

34. Traveling for three days and just printed three of your workouts:)
    Thanks for the post!
    Carol recently posted..WTF Janitor Part IIMy Profile

35. Thank you, thank you for your website! Its helping with inspiration along with keeping me challenged with new workouts and goals!

36. This is awesome! I’m definitely going to give these a try. P.S. The bikini shot is not cheesy! You look awesome!
    Britt @ BrittsRunningStyle recently posted..Summer Runnin’ had me a Blast….Not.My Profile

37. Michelle says:

Great workouts! I just completed day 1 and my arms are sore already. My core is definitely stronger than my arms. lol Thank you for posting this!

38. Jess–I just finished day 3 of this week and am loving the workouts so far. They are challenging enough that I’m sore and sweaty, but not so much that I don’t want to come back for more. I tried crossfit for a while and enjoyed the workouts that were more like yours, but didn’t feel like the programming overall was getting me the results that I wanted (lean and slimmed down vs. muscle-bulky). I recently finished a half-marathon… I still run sporadically and do yoga 1-2 times a week, so this is the perfect compliment to my workout routine. THANKS!!

• Thank you so much for the feedback Tracy!! And, congrats on your recent half marathon! You’re doing a great job of balancing it all!

39. this is great! I sent it to a handful of friends. Love it! I would also like to know how much protein you are eating to get so lean and toned :)
    Natalie recently posted..Review of Huma Energy GelMy Profile

• Hi Natalie! My protein intake varies depending on how active I am. Appx .8g of protein per kg. So, take your weight, divide by 2.2 to get weight in kg’s and multiply by .8 for protein intake. Very active individuals can times it by 1.8! :) I have some meal plans on my “Supplement” tab under “Fuel” if that helps?

40. Kelly Brock says:

Thank you so much for posting this! My friend and I had just started working out together, looking for some motivation. We love your website and have been picking random exercises from it so when I saw you grouped some together in a 7 day challenge, we jut had to do it. We are on day three now, and I’m loving it…these workouts are perfect for me! I even started taking the meta-ignite, it really helps me get pumped during the exercises to, I have more endurance ive noticed. Can’t wait for the individual plans (of course after everything gets settled with the baby :-) )

• Glad you are trying this plan out Kelly!! And, isn’t meta-ignite a nice secret weapon?! Oh how I miss that supplement right now!!

41. Heather says:

Ooh! I am excited to start this next week! I also dabble with your workouts here and there so look forward to having an actual plan of attack :) My birthday is Sunday so maybe she will wait a day and celebrate with me! Happy delivery! You will do awesome!

42. I love this workout plan. Your page is my daily go-to for workouts! I can’t wait for more information on your online training.

43. I truly love your workouts, don’t go to the gym but love tough workouts at home! Since I found your blog (and once I finally got 10 lb db’s) I’m finally getting arm and shoulder definition and strength! I’ve been in a little slump recently though so this post has given me the jump start that I needed, thanks!

Keep the no equipment needed wo’s coming! Also, would love a circuit wo using DB & full body moves to target developing shoulders, triceps & biceps.

Thank you Jess!!

44. I love this Jess! Thanks for the training plan. Can’t wait to try it out. And so excited that you’re going to be doing online training.
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Memories Captured: Brothers Part 2My Profile

45. Did Week One, Day One today, and was sucking major wind and my legs were shaking at the end. So excited to try Day Two tomorrow!

46. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know about how long these workouts are? I have limited time in the day with the kids, so I don’t want to start something I can’t finish :/
    30 min? 60 min? I know it varies, just trying to get an idea. Thanks!

47. Hi Jess, I have been following your blog for awhile and have never commented. Sorry about that! I look forward to all of your posts! I started the Summer Shape Up plan week 1 today and am loving it! Perfect workouts to do with my 3 and 1 year old running around me. Thanks!

48. Hi Jess! I just started following your blog, took up this summer shape up program you’re so kindly offering for FREE!, and am loving it so far! It feels good really get my heart rate up while doing something different than my normal routine. I’m super stoked to see some results!!
    Also, CONGRATS on your new beautiful baby girl! What a great moment, I’m so happy for you! Have such a wonderful time!!
    Brita recently posted..Finding My WayMy Profile

49. Picture me jumping up and down cheering!!! Can’t believe I missed this! I’m starting Monday!!!!!!

50. Ooh, I love this, Jess!! I’ve been referring you to my health coach clients looking for strength workouts. So many great workouts here!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..How to determine the best foods for you- part 2My Profile

51. After recently started my first (!) full time job, I have been trying to workout in the morning at home before work as an alternative to my other workouts. I am always looking for new circuits and these are great (and super user-friendly)! Thank you so so much
    Amy recently posted..My Journey to a Healthy Life [1]My Profile

52. Love you workouts!!!My kinda workout!!Would love more upper/ lower / core workouts!!!

53. Hi Jess!!

I hope you don’t mind but I posted about you on my staying active tab of my blog! I am doing a before and after with your 28 day summer shape up series! I can’t wait to see the changes, hopefully there will be some :)
    Feel free to check back and see how your workouts have been going for the average girl! Thanks for the great workouts and awesome videos that help me know what the heck I should be doing!!!!

PS. congrats on baby Jada!

54. Starting this plan at 8 weeks pregnant… Feeling awesome about it too. Jess you are seriously a great inspiration to me with your fitness know how and knowledge!! Keep it coming, thoroughly enjoying all of it!! Thank you a bunch! :)

55. This is SO exciting! My daughters work out with me, and this looks like a great way to mix things up a bit. We’re moving to South Africa in a few days, so it’ll be good to have a workout plan upon arrival. I may even get my husband and sons in on it!
    Soak up the sweetness of that baby girl! They grow up quickly. (But of course, in a “flash” she’ll be big enough to become your workout partner!)
    Dayna recently posted..Twenty-One Years… And CountingMy Profile

56. Hi Jess!
    I just found your website yesterday and I am excited to try it out. I want get my husband involoved and wanted to know if these workouts are strictly for women or can men do them as well? We both are so busy with work and kids and the 15-20 mins per workout would be perfect for us.

57. Hi Jess!
    I just found your website yesterday and I am excited to try it out. I want get my husband involved and wanted to know if these workouts are strictly for women or can men do them as well? We both are so busy with work and kids and the 15-20 mins per workout would be perfect for us.

58. Thank you so much. I’m sweating my butt off. I just got a better workout with you vs. spending an hour at the gym!
    Erin

59. I know I’m a little behind but I just started Day 1 today and included a 4mi run…phew!!! completely pooped right now and it’s awesome! Can’t wait to keep this going!

60. Jess!!! This is awesome – i stumbled across your website through Pinterest. Very inspiring!! I’ve been doing Gabby Reese Functional Training for the past 3/4 months, which is also great – i finished Tough Mudder last weekend and am now ready to get back on the training kick, but was looking for something to spice up the routine. Your workouts look awesome – to the point, quick and effective. I can’t wait to start this tonight!

61. Wesinda says:

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for making up this workout plan and posting it!! I had reached a plateau and was looking for something to mix it up, and this is working perfectly! These workouts are great for a SAHM trying to stay in shape! :)

62. I love your summer workout! It defiantly is helping me get into the best shape of my life!! I have never been soo sore!

63. The summer workout kicks my butt, everyday… But I am really enjoying having a workout that is planned out everyday!

64. I originally found your website while I was pregnant. Now I’m almost 9 months post baby and in serious need of routine workouts. Thanks for setting up this schedule! I love all of the workouts so far!

65. Hi!

I love these workouts! Are you able to take more than 1 rest day a week and make the plan longer or should the work 6 days and take a 1 rest day per week be strictly adhered too?

66. I am a nursing student who literally devotes 45 hours a week to school and another 20 hours to my job. It is almost impossible to find quick at home workout plans. Thank you for this!!! I cannot wait to try this routine and keep in it. I did crossfit for a while and loved it.

67. I just started your Summer Shape Up Plan. And so far I love your workouts. But I do my workouts at my gym and I can’t help but feel compelled to jump on a weight lifting machine. Can I/Should I include that style weight lifting in my workout routine? If so, what should I do? Should I do one or two exercises that compliment the muscle group your workout focused on (i.e. your workout focused on arms so I do lat pulls and bicep curls) or should it be the opposite (i.e. your workout focused on arms so I do hamstring curls and leg extensions)?

Thanks for the awesome site! And Jada is ADORABLE!
    Samantha

• The plan is designed to be balanced and hit all body parts throughout the week, but if you need more exercises, by all means add machines on your own. ;)

68. Hi my name is Majeski and I am wondering if I can share your site on my pinterest page if we can please respond to this comment. Thanks!

69. Thank you again for this. I wrote you on Facebook thanking you but you might get too many messages. :-)

Anyways, you are amazing. Thank you.

70. I’ve been a follower for a little over a year and I have recently hit a workout slump. The holidays have been a bit rough and I’m hoping this 4 week workout plan will be just the boost I need. I’ve enlisted the help and participation of a dear friend and hope we stay focused and motivated to get it done! So excited!

Trackbacks

1. […] workouts this week I’m going to continue to go through Jess’s Summer Shape Up Plan and maybe start over with them?  I feel like they definitely kick my butt (I did do one […]

2. […] Summer Shape Up Plan (I ended up completing Day One of this plan today! More on that […]

3. […] Yesterday I adopted a new goal for myself: Complete Jess’ Summer Shape Up Program! […]

4. […] gym, I completed a 30 minute workout on the treadmill before it was time to do Day Two of Jess’ Summer Shape Up Program. I completed four rounds of today’s circuit before I had to train a […]

5. […] After completing the run, I went on to Jess’ Summer Shape Up Day One. […]

6. […] good workout ideas!  And they’re free.  Will likely try to incorporate into some classes next […]

7. […] to a tee but I am going to plan on doing at least 3 of the workouts a week.  You can find week 1 HERE.  I highly recommend trying this […]

8. […] Shape-Up Plan with her readers and I am going to try out these workouts. Today I did Jess’s Before Breakfast Home Workout, but at the […]

9. […] the Tone It Up workouts. I also found a new summer shape up plan that I’m LOVING, it’s over on Blonde Ponytail’s website. I’ve only done a few days so far, but holy heck, it’s a sweater, and leaves me […]

10. […] has tons of workouts and recently started a Summer Shape Up plan with workouts for each […]

11. […] This week I have changed up my workouts a bit.  My body has been feeling like it needs an extra push and I am hoping extra group exercise classes at the gym will help.  Each day has two workouts… I plan on doing the first workout in the morning and the second workout after work.  I scheduled my runs for the mornings because I like to get it out of the way before it gets too humid.  Wherever you see “SSU” this refers to Jess’ Summer Shape Up Plan.  Last week I found Jess’ workouts and incorporated some throughout the week into my regular routine.  They are awesome workouts because they are high intensity yet everything needed can probably be found in your house.  To see Jess’ Summer Shape Up: click here. […]

12. […] Before Breakfast Home Workout […]

13. […] It began at 5 a.m. with a quick workout at the gym with Ryan. Once again, I followed the prescribed Summer Shape Up workout from Jess’ program and thought it was a good one. I’m loving her fast, efficient […]

14. […] Summer Shape Up Program! It’s fast and effective and the workouts fly by. I love […]

15. […] Summer Shape Up Program! I can’t seem to get enough of […]

16. […] Since arriving in the Denver heat, I’ve been thinking I could just use some of these ways to convince people I workout when I don’t. Instead though, I’ve decided to take the hard way out. I’m going to complete Jess’ Summer Shape Up Plan. […]

17. […] Workouts from Blonde Ponytail’s Summer Shape Up Plan. Admittedly, I only started doing some of these workouts this past week, but they are kicking my […]

18. […] also finished Week 1, Day 2 of BlondePonyTail’s Summer Shape Up Plan, it was a tough one! The 30 minute of your choice was the run I detailed […]

19. […] still keeping up with the Summer shape up plan. This morning I did the 400s running […]

20. […] the past month, I’ve been completing Jess’ Summer Shape-Up Plan, which I really enjoy. It incorporates HIIT training, which I’ve never really done. I’ve always […]

21. […] the beginning of this week I completed Jess’ 4 week Summer Shape Up Plan. It has been great having workouts already prepared and set out. It’s help me stick to a […]

22. […] great, free workouts: Summer shapeup plan via Blonde […]

23. […] the summer, I completed Jess’ Summer Shape Up Plan and loved it. Every day was different and many days included HIIT, which was great because the […]